This is a lesson on 3D shapes based on the 8ways pedagogies. I found that 8ways is easy to adapt in lesson planning!
Lesson Plan based on 8ways
Topic: 3D shapes
LO: – Identifying and naming 3D objects in nature
– Creating and labelling 3D shapes with sticks
– Ability to connect curriculum, learning and nature
Intro: Giving each student a solid 3D shape and asking to share a story about their shape.
Teacher name and label the parts of 3D shapes on the IWB.
Students are asked to hunt for 3D shapes in the schoolyard and collect sticks to create their own 3D shapes and label the different parts (put the sticks together with blue tack).
Students are to share what they’ve learned and comment on how the nature helped them to deepen their knowledge.
– Teacher observation: identifying and naming 3D objects in nature
– Student work: Creating and labelling 3D shapes with sticks
– Student Reflections: Ability to connect curriculum, learning and nature
8ways – How we learn – culture way
1. We connect through the stories we share.
2. We picture our pathways of knowledge.
3. We see, think, act, make and share without words.
4. We keep and share knowledge with art and objects.
5. We work with lessons from land and nature.
6. We put different ideas together and create new knowledge.
7. We work from wholes to parts, watching and then doing.
8. We bring new knowledge home to help our mob.